As massage therapists, we see clients every day who suffer from chronic pain, who are recovering from sports injuries or who are stressed out. We love being able to use our skills, training and our hands to relieve your pain and discomfort, or to help you feel more relaxed.
Depending on your needs and our training, we use different massage techniques. Swedish massage concentrates on long strokes and gliding technique over your entire body vs. Deep Tissue massage which uses a combination of slow strokes and friction to relieve muscular tension.
Scientific evidence shows that massage is more than just a feel-good thing. A massage from a trained therapist has many benefits.In an age of technical and, at times, impersonal medicine, massage offers a drug-free, non-invasive and humanistic approach based on the body’s natural ability to heal itself. So what exactly are the benefits to receiving regular massage and/or bodywork treatments?
- Increases circulation, allowing the body to pump more oxygen and nutrients into tissues and vital organs.
- Stimulates the flow of lymph, the body’s natural defense system, against toxic invaders. For example, in breast cancer patients, massage has been shown to increase the cells that fight cancer.
- Increased circulation of blood and lymph systems improves the condition of the body’s largest organ – the skin.
- Relaxes and softens injured and overused muscles
- Reduces spasms and cramping
- Increases joint flexibility.
- Reduces recovery time, helps prepare for strenuous workouts and eliminates subsequent pains of the athlete at any level.
- Releases endorphins – the body’s natural painkiller – and is being used in chronic illness, injury and recovery from surgery to control and relieve pain.
- Reduces post-surgery adhesions and edema and can be used to reduce and realign scar tissue after healing has occurred.
- Improves range-of-motion and decreases discomfort for patients with low back pain.
- Relieves pain for migraine sufferers and decreases the need for medication.
- Provides exercise and stretching for atrophied muscles and reduces shortening of the muscles for those with restricted range of motion.
- Assists with shorter labor for expectant mothers, as well as less need for medication, less depression and anxiety, and shorter hospital stays.
There are times when massage might not be the right choice, for example if you had blod clots you may need to avoid Deep Tissue massage.But for most people, massage only has an upside. Massage helps your body perform its own functions better and more efficiently. With regular massage treatments for joint pain, insomnia, even irregularity, you may be able to take fewer pills, and take them less often. Most of all, a massage will help you feel relaxed and ready to face the world.